While it might seem intuitively that technology providers are intrinsically immune to the challenges implied by BYOD/PC deployment, such is not the case.
Like other high-growth organizations, technology companies frequently drive growth by leveraging a large contractor workforce and offshore development. And for tech, more than most industries, protecting intellectual property through advanced security can mean the difference between stunning success and complete failure.
Outsourced development in particular is high on the minds of technology CIOs — whether that involves offshore or onshore workers. Both scenarios imply the same context: relying on non-employees using different hardware and networks, who have access to sensitive data, for much of their most critical work.
The exceptionally fast pace of change in the technology sector also requires organizations to innovate at faster speeds than those in other industries. All told, endpoint challenges for technology include:
- Protecting IP and other critical information, even given outsourced development
- Increasing productivity for BYOD/PC employees
- Simplifying management of contractors’ and mobile workers’ endpoints
- Reducing costs
The Solution: Moka5
With Moka5, technology companies protect their critical intellectual property, while still empowering outsourced development to be productive.
Intellectual property protection is paramount
Lost intellectual property ultimately results in lost revenue. When a laptop “goes missing,” the organization doesn’t simply lose the cost of the laptop; it potentially loses tens of millions of dollars of business to competitors.
Focus on protecting the data
Moka5 secures corporate access and intellectual property by focusing on protecting the corporate data, not the devices. The Moka5 solution is an encrypted, fully-managed corporate desktop running as an application on any computing device accessible from any network. Its secure container isolates the corporate OS, applications, and data from those on the host machines. Even in a BYOD/PC or contract workforce situation where IT traditionally has limited ability to manage computing devices or individual behavior, Moka5’s policy-based secure container ensures IT total control over who has access to corporate applications and data, and what they are – or are not – allowed to do with sensitive information (such as saving files on a USB or CD, or copy files from the corporate desktop to the personal host computer).
With the corporate workspace securely contained on the endpoint, Moka5 ensures multiple layers of protections and defenses around the data including:
- Scanning the host for errant processes
- Data encryption at rest and in transit
- Authentication controls for virtual desktop access, including two-factor authentication
- Remote access revocation or complete wipe of corporate workspace from a centralize console (in case of device theft or loss)
- Automated disabling of peripherals (such as USB and CD drives)
- Blocking network traffic from unauthorized devices
- Enforcement of mobile-specific policies (keycodes or passwords, timeouts, etc.)
Reap capital and operational cost savings
Technology companies can realize significant CapEx savings by using Moka5. How?
- By requiring contractors and remote employees to use their own computing devices. Through a BYOD/PC initiative with Moka5 as the underlying secure containerization technology, enterprises can save on hardware cost for every contractor they hire globally.
- By simplifying management and improving security via our client-side, virtualized enterprise workspaces. Cost savings stem from new application distribution, security patch updates, OS migration, and in many other ways. Critical to this efficient management approach is the Moka5 Layering technology that enables IT to run large updates just once on their golden image. The corporate OS and applications update automatically on every boot, so there’s no need for costly user-side visits.
Boost employee productivity
With layering to streamline image deployment, Moka5 accelerates employee on-boarding. By allowing IT or the user to “rejuvenate” an image in under a minute (in many cases), Moka5 further reduces time and productivity loss that might otherwise occur due to malware infection or other mishap. And thanks to Moka5′s offline capability, remote workers can operate within their secure enterprise workspaces anywhere, anytime.
A Silicon Valley-based technology company was chartered to simplify endpoint management. Its IT staff was relatively small, yet needed to support users throughout North America, Europe, the mideast, and Asia.
The company’s choice: Moka5. The Moka5 platform delivers unified, accelerated, and highly secure client-side virtualization with user-centric features such as online and offline application access and a secure workspace/container.
Since deployment, the company reports that onboarding of new employees is dramatically accelerated. In fact, a new employee can now be up and running within two hours.
The company also leverages Moka5 to manage all user environments in a consistent fashion whether they are local or not. The IT staff is able to see user environments remotely, so troubleshooting is streamlined. This saves time on every internal IT support call and enables certain tasks that were never possible before at all.
Updates and patches are now securely, automatically, and rapidly provisioned to remote endpoints. Furthermore, the fact that the organization can now roll endpoints back to a previous clean state, via smart provisioning, means IT can solve many problems at far lower costs, in far less time, than ever before.
For instance, the company recently found that a salesman’s laptop had become infested with malware. Using Moka5′s support for state recovery, this issue was fixed within 15 minutes. Prior to Moka5, recovering and rebuilding the laptop might have taken an entire day.