To stay competitive in a truly global economy, today’s manufacturing industry must embrace significant change in its IT infrastructure at a rate unimagined just five years ago. Changes such as shop floor robotics, M2M learning, 3D printing, IT mobility, and big data have exerted a tremendous influence. Machines are now self aware, reporting new data that is both sensitive and needs to be secured properly.
Also, as more and more manufacturing companies distribute their operations globally, increasingly rely on contract labor, it’s essential that remote teams, knowledge workers, and contractors be able to access critical information securely.
Special concerns in the manufacturing sector include:
- Distributed operations. Manufacturing facilities operate 24/7/365 in multiple regions, and often in locations with limited bandwidth. More importantly, much of the new productivity applications designed for manufacturing such as 3D modeling, shop floor automation control, etc., are too computationally-intensive for a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) environment, in which applications are actually executing remotely.
- Security. The large number of contract workers represent a potentially high security risks for critical intellectual property. Allowing untrusted BYOD/PC endpoints onto the network is a huge risk and exposes the entire company to the threats of malware or data theft.
The Solution: Moka5
Moka5 is designed to address the challenges manufacturers face: the need to protect IP, manage remote endpoints, extend systems lifecycles, and support new device types while improving end-user productivity and controlling/reducing overall infrastructure costs.
Intellectual property protection is paramount
Lost intellectual property ultimately results in lost revenue. When a laptop “goes missing,” the organization doesn’t simply lose the cost of the laptop; it potentially loses tens of millions of dollars of business to competitors.
Focus on protecting the data
Moka5 secures corporate access and intellectual property by focusing on protecting the corporate data, not the devices. The Moka5 solution is an encrypted, fully-managed corporate desktop running as an application on any computing device accessible from any network. Its secure container isolates the corporate OS, applications, and data from those on the host machines. Even in a BYOD/PC or contract workforce situation where IT traditionally has limited ability to manage computing devices or individual behavior, Moka5’s policy-based secure container ensures IT total control over who has access to corporate applications and data, and what they are – or are not – allowed to do with sensitive information (such as saving files on a USB or CD, or copy files from the corporate desktop to the personal host computer).
With the corporate workspace securely contained on the endpoint, Moka5 ensures multiple layers of protections and defenses around the data including:
- Scanning the host for errant processes
- Data encryption at rest and in transit
- Authentication controls for virtual desktop access, including two-factor authentication
- Remote access revocation or complete wipe of corporate workspace from a centralize console (in case of device theft or loss)
- Automated disabling of peripherals (such as USB and CD drives)
- Blocking network traffic from unauthorized devices
- Enforcement of mobile-specific policies (keycodes or passwords, timeouts, etc.)
Reap capital and operational cost savings
Manufacturing firms can realize significant CapEx savings by using Moka5. How?
- By requiring contractors and remote employees to use their own computing devices. Through a BYOD/PC initiative with Moka5 as the underlying secure container technology, firms can save on hardware cost for every contractor they hire globally.
- By reducing the budget needed to maintain a continually secure endpoint infrastructure. Secure, Moka5-driven application distribution, patch updates, OS migration, and other centralized endpoint management functionality drives security up and costs down. Critical to this efficient management approach is the Moka5 container technology that enables IT to run large updates just once on their golden image. The corporate OS and applications update automatically on every boot, so there’s no need for costly user-side visits.
Boost employee productivity
With layering to streamline image deployment, Moka5 accelerates employee on-boarding. By allowing IT or the user to “rejuvenate” an image in under a minute (in many cases), Moka5 further reduces time and productivity loss that might otherwise occur due to malware infection or other mishap. And thanks to Moka5′s offline capability, remote workers can operate within their secure enterprise workspaces anywhere, anytime.
Sharp Manufacturing Poland (SMPL) is part of the European arm of Sharp Corporation, a Global Fortune 500 company. The Poland-based manufacturing facility produces LCD modules and TV sets, and as part of the TV production, uses PCs to trace serial numbers and track functional specification inspection.
The Sharp IT team looked for ways to increase productivity and scale while meeting stringent requirements including:
- Deploying Windows XP and production software on PCs
- Updating production PCs without interfering with the manufacturing process
- Supporting offline productivity in the event of network failure
- Accelerating PC recovery time and reducing process downtime in the event of PC failure
Sharp Manufacturing Poland chose Moka5, and the results have been dramatic.
Production software and security patch updates are delivered far more quickly and more often. Thanks to Moka5’s rejuvenation feature, the time needed for restarting/recovering a failed computer is now typically under five minutes.
Preparing a PC for a new production line takes one day, instead of ten — an acceleration of a full order of magnitude. And IT now regularly updates all the production software. All of these enhancements have empowered the IT team to focus on higher-priority concerns, such as bolstering end-to-end security.