The BYOD/PC phenomenon is on the rise across all industries, but this is particularly true of the energy sector. According to Oil and Gas IQ (an industry research group) more than 71% of energy workers are already using personal mobile devices for work, especially senior decision makers and those engaged in field operations and technical roles.
Given the nature of the Oil and Gas industry — highly distributed, and often operating in extremely inhospitable locations — BYO deployments often lead to special technical challenges and unexpectedly high costs. Examples include:
- Unauthorized international roaming and other usage behaviors that have expensive consequences. Pooling minutes to cut costs further complicates an already difficult accounting task.
- Supporting on-the-go users, who have chosen a wide variety of devices, computers, operating systems, and connectivity options can be next to impossible — especially while ensuring energy security mandates are also achieved.
- Corporate liability. Who is ultimately responsible for mobile assets performing mission-critical work? Many CIOs believe the BYO model removes corporate liability for the device and service plan to the employee, but this is not always the case. A more legally pragmatic option is a hybrid model in which the employee chooses a device and pays for all, some or none of it according to the company’s policies. In this scenario, the company remains liable for the service plan, security and technical support.
- Maintaining crew connectivity, data accuracy and quality control over such a distributed workforce.
- Empowering team members to review results and make decisions in real time, for real time events such as oil well drilling.
The Solution: Moka5
Moka5 secures corporate access, increases user productivity, and simplifies IT management, even for the most complex scenarios in the oil and gas industry.
Focus on protecting the data
Moka5 secures corporate access and intellectual property by focusing on protecting the corporate data, not the devices. The Moka5 solution is an encrypted, fully-managed corporate desktop running as an application on any computing device accessible from any network. Its secure container isolates the corporate OS, applications, and data from those on the host machines. Even in a BYOD/PC or contract workforce situation where IT traditionally has limited ability to manage computing devices or individual behavior, Moka5’s policy-based secure container ensures IT total control over who has access to corporate applications and data, and what they are – or are not – allowed to do with sensitive information (such as saving files on a USB or CD, or copy files from the corporate desktop to the personal host computer).
With the corporate workspace securely contained on the endpoint, Moka5 ensures multiple layers of protections and defenses around the data including:
- Scanning the host for errant processes
- Data encryption at rest and in transit
- Authentication controls for virtual desktop access, including two-factor authentication
- Remote access revocation or complete wipe of corporate workspace from a centralize console (in case of device theft or loss)
- Automated disabling of peripherals (such as USB and CD drives)
- Blocking network traffic from unauthorized devices
- Enforcement of mobile-specific policies (keycodes or passwords, timeouts, etc.)
Reap capital and operational cost savings
Oil and gas companies can realize significant CapEx savings by using Moka5. How?
- By requiring contractors and remote employees to use their own computing devices. Through a BYOD/PC initiative with Moka5 as the underlying secure containerization technology, energy enterprises can save on hardware cost for every contractor they hire globally.
- By simplifying management and improving security via our client-side, virtualized enterprise workspaces. Cost savings stem from new application distribution, security patch updates, OS migration, and in many other ways. Critical to this efficient management approach is the Moka5 Layering technology that enables IT Managers in energy to run large updates just once on their golden image. The corporate OS and applications update automatically on every boot, so there’s no need for costly user-side visits.
Boost employee productivity
With layering to streamline image deployment, Moka5 accelerates employee on-boarding. By allowing IT or the user to “rejuvenate” an image in under a minute (in many cases), Moka5 further reduces time and productivity loss that might otherwise occur due to malware infection or other mishap. And thanks to Moka5′s offline capability, remote workers can operate within their secure enterprise workspaces anywhere, anytime.
A Global Fortune top 20 oil and gas company seeks to leverage a client-based desktop virtualization solution for reducing capital costs, optimizing contractor productivity, and doing so with a focus on preventing data leaks and the loss of critical intellectual property.
Prior to Moka5, the company provisioned and delivered a laptop to every energy contractor, a relatively expensive strategy. By shifting to Moka5, this organization shifted responsibility for purchasing the endpoint to the contractor, while also improving security via our secure enterprise workspaces.
Using Moka5, the Company now creates only a single image for both Windows-based PC’s and Macs. In addition to accelerated desktop deployment, they can easily distribute new applications and update security patches, keeping the remote infrastructure continually current. The company has also boosted productivity by speeding contractor on-boarding and empowering them to work anywhere, in any bandwidth environment, using any device.
Estimated savings on hardware costs alone: 77%.